19 Mar Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bread – Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Soy and Nut Free
Posted at 22:18h
Eating should be fun. It’s that simple. But when you have food issues, it can quickly become a dreaded task. When we first learned about Alex’s food issues, my goal was to recreate favorite treats that could be a snack, a dessert, a breakfast and if necessary, a lunch item. Without any of the top 8 allergens. It needed to be nutritious without tasting that way. It needed to taste like “regular” banana bread. This recipe was the answer! It meets all of those things. I make this and freeze it so we always have it on hand, and it is a staple item that I give to friends, regardless of food issues. Kids absolutely love this and NO ONE, and I mean no one can tell this is free of anything!
I have made this recipe into both muffins and bread. To be honest, if you just add frosting to the top, this also passes as banana cake or banana cupcakes!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 c. gluten free flour (if your flour blend includes xanthan gum, eliminate it below)
- 1/2 c. gluten free oat flour *
- 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. xanthan gum
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1/2 c. coconut yogurt
- 1 Tblsp. vinegar (I use apple cider)
- 1 t. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350(F) and lightly grease standard loaf pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mash bananas until there are no lumps left.
- Mix together all wet ingredients and add mashed bananas.
- Pour dry ingredients into your wet mixture. Mix until combined then fold in 1 1/2 cups dairy free chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life).
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting.
- *Oat Flour - you can easily make your own, just place 1 cup of gluten free oats into a food processor and pulse until finally ground.