09 Jan The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup -Gluten and Dairy Free
Cold weather and a big pot of hot soup are the perfect couple. There is nothing better than a big pot of soup to end your day (in my opinion). And not soup that you can drink, but soup that you can really sink your teeth into. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe was given to me by my dear friend Victoria and it is a favorite by my entire family. The best part? It is loaded with clean, allergen friendly ingredients. It is gluten and dairy free. Actually, it’s top 10 free! Chocked full of meaty chicken thighs, fresh vegetables, all resting in a rich, delicious broth, it is the perfect comforting one pot meal. I will eat this soup all day every day of the week!
Let me start by saying that this recipe makes a huge amount of soup. You can easily half the recipe but I am going to give it to you exactly as my friend gave it to me. That way you can decide what to cut in half and what to leave the same. Do not be dismayed by the long list of ingredients like I was when I first saw this recipe. I know, it’s long! You’ll quickly see that most of the ingredients, like all of the spices, are already in your pantry. I like to lay out all of the spices and ingredients before I even start so that making the soup goes even faster.
And wow is this soup worth it! You can easily double this recipe for a larger crowd or just to freeze and have later.
So here it is, Victoria’s amazing huge pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Victoria's Chicken Tortilla Soup - Gluten and Dairy Free
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large poblano pepper - seeded and diced (if poblano is spicy, only use half)
- 5-6 cloves of fresh garlic -minced
- 3 cans black beans - do not drain or rinse
- 3 cans of sweet whole kernal corn (drain and rinse otherwise it's too sweet)
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 16-oz jar mild salsa verde or tomatillo cooking sauce
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (trimmed)
- Juice from 1 fresh lime
- 3 Tblsp. chili powder
- 2 Tblsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tblsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tblsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tblsp. onion powder
- 1 Tblsp. dried oregano
- Fresh Cilantro - chopped
- Salt, pepper
- Optional Garnish/Toppings: chopped green onions, diced/sliced avocado, lime wedges, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, thinly sliced radishes
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions, poblano pepper and fresh garlic. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 8-10 turns of freshly ground black pepper. Stir well and cook down 6-7 minutes or until veggies just start to wilt.
- Add black beans, canned corn, cream of corn, tomato sauce, fire-roasted tomatoes, salsa verde, chicken broth, water and lime juice. Stir well and increase heat to medium high. Bring to a rolling simmer.
- Once simmering, add chicken thighs to pot. Reduce heat again and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and easily shreds with a fork. Stir occasionally.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and shred in a bowl. Return shredded chicken to pot.
- Add spices to chicken soup. Stir well and allow to simmer for 10 minutes so the flavors meld.
- Add a handful of fresh chopped cilatnro, salt, pepper and additional lime juice to taste.
- If more spice is desired, add cayenne pepper!
- Serve with or without toppings or create a toppings bar for your guests!